نوع مطلب :نمونه سوال ،
Essay Writing Sample Test
For Translation Students
A. Answer the following items by choosing the best choice (a, b, c or d).
1. He passed his examinations……….. , he had some good news to tell his parents.
a. in other words b. all the same c. as a result d. in spite of that
2. When we describe a process or procedure, we often use the……… tense to give a general description.
a. past active b. present active c. past passive d. present passive
3. The lecturer………… name I always forget was as boring as usual this morning.
a. which b. whose c. whom d. that
4. Great Britain is an island that……….by the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea. It………. The main lands of England, Wales and Scotland.
a. is surrounded / comprises b. was surrounded / comprised
c. surrounds / comprises d. surrounded / comprised
5. He loves to travel around the world and see different places such as…….. Alps,……… Lake
Baikal, and ……….... Mediterranean.
a. --- / --- / the b. the / the / the c. the / --- / the d. --- / the / ---
6. An account of events in the past which entails following a time sequence or chronological order is called ……………… .
a. description b. narration c. exemplification d. classification
7. One of the latest university developments ……..the foundation in 1969 of the Open University.
a. was b. is c. has been d. had been
8. Which of the following can be considered as a good definition?
a. A lecturer is a person who lectures.
b. An ammeter is used to measure electric current.
c. A dictionary is a book like "Collins Cobuild English Dictionary".
d. Bronze is an alloy which is produced from copper and tin.
9. Which of the following is TRUE?
a. Relative clauses are often used to qualify or give extra information.
b. It is good to give an example rather than a definition when a short definition is being written.
c. When we describe things we do not need to define them at all, especially in academic writing.
d. Sequence or order is not important in describing a process.
10. The………… is normally made according to a criterion or several criteria (Standards or
principles on which judgments are based).
a. exemplification b. definition c. classification d. interpretation
11. Which of the following is FALSE?
a. Students may be classified according to age.
b. Students may be classified on the basis of age.
c. Students may be classified such as age.
d. Students may be classified depending on age.
12. Similarities and differences are often noted when ………………… .
a. exemplifying b. describing c. defining d. classifying
13. Which of the following is WRONG?
a. The cause of higher prices was an increase in demand.
b. The consequence of an increase in demand is higher prices
c. The demand has increased; therefore, the prices are higher:
d. The demand has increased; for this effect the prices are higher.
14. When we make a ………..we may be giving our own opinion or interpreting the information.
a. generalization b. definition
c. qualification d. classification
15. Which of the following is TRUE?
a. To add a conclusion that doesn't follow logically from what has been written before is called a "non-sequitur".
b. Introduction does not play a very important role in the process of discussion for a number of reasons.
c. A good introduction should be ambiguous and should not be clearly constructed to create a good impression on the reader.
d. The language of comparison and contrast is not useful when studying tables and other Statistical information.
16. Which of the following is grammatically CORRECT?
a. Seems that we should go. b. I'm working in the library everyday.
c. These information are useful. d. Prices continue to rise.
17. Which of the following is grammatically WRONG?
a. He did a number of attempts to finish the work
b. He found that he could not do the research on time.
c. She had some difficulty in doing her homework.
d. Many discoveries have been made this century.
18. Which of the following is WRONG?
a. He raised a new point in the seminar.
b. A new problem has arisen in the college.
c. The sun usually rises at 5a.m in the summer.
d. Bus fares were raised three times last year.
19. Which of the following sentences is a definite statement?
a. Industrialization tends to be viewed as a superior way of life.
b. Industrialization is viewed as a superior way of life.
c. Industrialization appears to be viewed as a superior way of life.
d. Industrialization seems to be viewed as a superior way of life.
20. Which of the following sentences is formal?
a. I showed that his arguments did not hold water.
b. He'll have to do another five tests before he can stop the experiment.
c. There are a number of reasons why the questionnaire should be revised.
d. I wonder why he put up with those terrible conditions for so long.
21. Which of the followings is WRONG according to the rules of punctuation?
a. They tried, in spite of my advice, to climb the mountain.
b. If you do not understand, please tell me.
c. I shall need a book, some paper, and a ruler.
d. Mr. Gorbachev, the President said that he would help the poor.
22. Which of the following is WRONG according to the rules of punctuation?
a. I have some news for you: John's father has arrived.
b. Please send the items indicated below, namely: (i) passport (ii) visa application.
c. The lecture was badly delivered; it went on for too long as well.
d. The chief commodities are: butter, cheese, eggs; lamb, beef, veal; oats, barley and wheat.
23. Which of the following is WRONG according to the rules of structure?
a. Please tell me what time is it?
b. He received a prize and a certificate as well.
c. He said, "Why did you do that?"
d. He (Mr. Brown) told him that he (Mr. Green) is good for the job.
24. Which of the following is CORRECT according to the rule of capitalization?
a. John, Dr. Smith, the Middle Ages b. the Mona Lisa, Ph.D., January
c. Christmas, Vienna, Professor Williams d. Animal Farm, the Nether lands, the Far East
25. Which of the following is CORRECT according to grammatical rules?
a. Some students were late this morning. b. He doesn't study English, he study French.
c. The course has taught me a lot. d. The number of students is less than last year.
26. Which of the followings is WRONG according to grammatical rules?
a. The news was very good.
b. His research is progressing well.
c. The police is doing their best to control the traffic.
d. The series of experiments that he conducted was successful.
27. Which of the following is WRONG according to grammatical rules?
a. Johns' essay was longer than Peter's.
b. Ann is as clever as Tom.
c. This. book is the same price as that one.
d. This problem is less difficult than the previous one.
28. Which of the following is WRONG according to grammatical rules?
a. He scored the highest marks in the annual examination.
b. Some economists find that the least interesting part of their subject is statistics.
c. The student did not do as much homework his teacher had hoped.
d. The bigger the problem was, the more interesting he found it.
29. Which of the followings is CORRECT according to grammatical rules?
a. In my country, we have other kind of system; it is bigger and better.
b. In other hand, if we look the table of accidents, we will see these facts.
c. The number of schools grew gradually till 1965 and then it raised suddenly.
d. Table 3 shows that most of these accidents occur to young children.
30. The letter "b" is silent in all of the following except in:
a. mob b. numb c. debt d. climb
چند ضرب المثل انگلیسی چهارشنبه 5 مهر 1391
نمونه هایی از گفتگوهای تجاری (بخش دوم) چهارشنبه 5 مهر 1391
نمونه هایی از گفتگوهای تجاری (بخش اول) چهارشنبه 5 مهر 1391
اندرزهای شکسپیر برای لذت از زندگی دوشنبه 27 شهریور 1391
چند اصطلاح در بر دارنده ی نام های حیوانات به صورت تست های چند گزینه ای شنبه 21 مرداد 1391
برخی لغات انگلیسی که ریشه فارسی دارند. چهارشنبه 13 مهر 1390
تقویت مهارت خواندن و درک مفاهیم جمعه 18 شهریور 1390
نمونه سوال: شعر ساده دوشنبه 13 تیر 1390
Beauty شنبه 11 تیر 1390
Paradox of Our Times شنبه 11 تیر 1390
مقاله: معیارهای ترجمه متون دینی شنبه 11 تیر 1390
پیشنهادهایی در ترجمه نوشته های علمی و تحقیقی (بخش دوم) شنبه 11 تیر 1390
پیشنهادهایی در ترجمه نوشته های علمی و تحقیقی (بخش اول) شنبه 11 تیر 1390
مقاله: پست مدرنیسـم و فرآینـد جهـانی شدن شنبه 11 تیر 1390
معرفی کتاب برای listening جمعه 3 تیر 1390
معرفی کتاب برای یادگیری grammar جمعه 3 تیر 1390
ده سوالی که خداوند از شما نمی پرسد... دوشنبه 30 خرداد 1390
چگونه انگلیسی بنویسیم شنبه 28 خرداد 1390
نمونه سوال اصول و روش ترجمه جمعه 20 خرداد 1390
روش تشخیص main idea چهارشنبه 18 خرداد 1390
چگونه مهارت درک مطلب را بهبود بخشیم. چهارشنبه 18 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی ( بخش سیزدهم) دوشنبه 9 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی ( بخش دوازدهم) دوشنبه 9 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش یازدهم) دوشنبه 9 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش دهم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش نهم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش هشتم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش هفتم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش ششم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
لیست آخرین پستها