نوع مطلب :مطالب مفید درسی و مقالات ،
about to (do something)
- to be on the point of doing something
was about to leave when the phone rang.
according to (someone or something)
- as said or told by someone, in agreement with something, in the order of something, in proportion to something
to our teacher, there will be no class next week.
We did everything according to the terms of our agreement.
account for (something)
- to provide an explanation or answer for something
The bad weather accounts for the fact that few people came to the
- considering the fact that something happened, something that is usually assumed
"You don't need to phone him. After all, he never phones you."
all of a sudden
- suddenly, without advance warning
All of a sudden it became cloudy and began to rain.
as a matter of fact
"As a matter of fact, we have been to the history museum many
as far as
- to the extent or degree of something
As far as I know the movie will start in a few minutes.
- with regard to, concerning
"As for me, I think that I will return home now."
- in the same way that something would be, that
The drink tastes as if it were made with orange juice.
It seemed as if the whole town came to the concert.
as long as
- provided that, on condition that
"As long as you promise to be careful you can borrow my car."
as soon as
- just after something, when
I phoned my friend as soon as I finished dinner.
- with regard to, according to
"As to your question, I will answer it tomorrow."
The players were put into groups as to their ability.
- in addition, also, too
I plan to take a computer course this summer as well.
as well as
- in addition to
"Please bring your swimming suit as well as your towel."
back and forth
- backwards and forwards, first one way and then the other way
The argument went back and forth before the judge made a decision.
- to be in a better situation than before
My friend would be better off if he sold his old car and bought a new
break down (something)
- to divide something into parts, to separate something into simpler substances
We tried to break down the problem for further study.
The sugar began to break down soon after it was swallowed.
- to separate, to divide into groups or pieces, to put an end to something
Nobody wanted to break up their groups.
We usually break up into small groups during our class.
by the way
"By the way, could you please bring your laptop computer
carry out (something)
- to put something into action, to accomplish something, to do something
The scientist wanted to carry out several experiments before discussing
the new medicine.
- please, hurry, go faster
"Come on, I only have a few minutes before I must go."
"Come on, stop doing that."
- to happen unexpectedly
I will not be able to go to the party if something else comes up.
come up with (something)
- to produce or find a thought/idea/answer
I tried to come up with a name for the new magazine.
deal with (something)
- to be concerned with something, to take action about something
We will deal with the boxes tomorrow.
end up (doing something or going somewhere)
- to do something that one had not planned to do, to go somewhere one had not planned to go
We ended up going to a restaurant after the movie last night.
figure out (someone or something)
- to try to understand someone or something, to solve something
I finally figured out how to use the new DVD player.
fill in (something)
- to write words in blank spaces
"Please fill in this form and give it to the receptionist."
find out (something)
- to learn or discover something
My mother is angry at me because she found out that I had quit my French
first of all
- the very first thing
First of all we prepared the garden and then we planted the seeds.
The city will close the public swimming pool for good next week.
- without doubt, certainly, surely
"I will go to the movie with you for sure next week."
get back to (something)
- to return to something
I was happy to get back to my work after my holiday.
get into (something)
- to become interested or involved in something
I do not want to get into an argument with my friend.
We will get into the details of the plan tomorrow.
get into (somewhere)
- to enter somewhere
My friend wants to get into a good university.
I bumped my head as I was getting into the car.
get out of (somewhere)
- to leave somewhere, to escape from somewhere
I want to hurry and get out of my house.
get rid of (something)
- to give or throw something away, to sell or destroy something, to make a cold or fever disappear
I bought a new television set so I want to get rid of the old one.
get through (something)
- to complete something, to finish something
My friend is having trouble getting through her final exams.
I have much reading that I must get through before tomorrow.
- to begin to do something
"Let`s go ahead and start now. We can`t wait any longer."
- to continue
The game will probably go on for an hour after we leave.
go over (something)
- to examine or review something
The accountant will go over the books tomorrow.
We plan to go over that question tomorrow.
go through (something)
- to discuss something, to look at something, to do something
The teacher decided to go through the exercise before the test.
go with (something)
- to choose one thing rather than another
We decided to go with the small rental car rather than the large one.
hang out (somewhere/with someone)
- to spend one`s time with no great purpose, to spend leisure time with friends
Recently my friend has been hanging out with a group of people who are
not a good influence on him.
have (something) to do with (something)
- to be about something, to be on the subject of something, to be related to something
"The book has something to do with cooking but I am not sure if you
will like it."
That problem has nothing to do with me.
- to wait a minute, to stop, to wait and not hang up the phone
"Please hold on for a minute while I lock the window."
in a way
- to a certain extent, a little, somewhat
In a way I want to go to the new restaurant but in a way I don`t really
- if, if something should happen
I will take my umbrella in case it rains.
- shared together or equally, in use or ownership by all
I had nothing in common with the other members of the class.
- giving all the details, item by item
The saleswoman explained about the new product in detail.
- for practical purposes, basically
The man's silence was in effect a way of disagreeing with the other
people in the meeting.
- actually, the truth is
The man has been to China
before. In fact he has been there three times.
in favor of (someone or something)
- to approve or support someone or something
Everybody is in favor of the new police chief.
My company is not in favor of changing our holiday schedule.
چند ضرب المثل انگلیسی چهارشنبه 5 مهر 1391
نمونه هایی از گفتگوهای تجاری (بخش دوم) چهارشنبه 5 مهر 1391
نمونه هایی از گفتگوهای تجاری (بخش اول) چهارشنبه 5 مهر 1391
اندرزهای شکسپیر برای لذت از زندگی دوشنبه 27 شهریور 1391
چند اصطلاح در بر دارنده ی نام های حیوانات به صورت تست های چند گزینه ای شنبه 21 مرداد 1391
برخی لغات انگلیسی که ریشه فارسی دارند. چهارشنبه 13 مهر 1390
تقویت مهارت خواندن و درک مفاهیم جمعه 18 شهریور 1390
نمونه سوال: شعر ساده دوشنبه 13 تیر 1390
Beauty شنبه 11 تیر 1390
Paradox of Our Times شنبه 11 تیر 1390
مقاله: معیارهای ترجمه متون دینی شنبه 11 تیر 1390
پیشنهادهایی در ترجمه نوشته های علمی و تحقیقی (بخش دوم) شنبه 11 تیر 1390
پیشنهادهایی در ترجمه نوشته های علمی و تحقیقی (بخش اول) شنبه 11 تیر 1390
مقاله: پست مدرنیسـم و فرآینـد جهـانی شدن شنبه 11 تیر 1390
معرفی کتاب برای listening جمعه 3 تیر 1390
معرفی کتاب برای یادگیری grammar جمعه 3 تیر 1390
ده سوالی که خداوند از شما نمی پرسد... دوشنبه 30 خرداد 1390
چگونه انگلیسی بنویسیم شنبه 28 خرداد 1390
نمونه سوال اصول و روش ترجمه جمعه 20 خرداد 1390
روش تشخیص main idea چهارشنبه 18 خرداد 1390
چگونه مهارت درک مطلب را بهبود بخشیم. چهارشنبه 18 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی ( بخش سیزدهم) دوشنبه 9 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی ( بخش دوازدهم) دوشنبه 9 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش یازدهم) دوشنبه 9 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش دهم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش نهم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش هشتم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش هفتم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
آموزش ابتدایی زبان انگلیسی (بخش ششم) سه شنبه 3 خرداد 1390
لیست آخرین پستها